Relating to or denoting techniques and apparatus that depend on the time taken by subatomic particles to traverse a set distance.
- ‘As further evidence for this fusion reaction, we use a novel time-of-flight technique to demonstrate the delayed coincidence between the outgoing alpha-particle and the neutron.’
- ‘This time-of-flight technique increases the path length, and thus the resolution, of the flow chamber using a radio frequency field along which the ions oscillate.’
- ‘A nanosecond UV laser pulse ionizes proteins, which can then be measured by a time-of-flight mass spectrometer.’
- ‘Ions are extracted and accumulated for a short period of time in an ion trap and then injected into a time-of-flight mass spectrometer.’
- ‘We measure the energy of the electrons with a time-of-flight spectrometer.’