One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A heavy pivoted hammer used in forging, raised mechanically and allowed to drop on the metal being worked.
- ‘He would start the tilt hammers long before day break and these were said to serve as an alarm clock for the early-rising townspeople.’
- ‘He may have seen this water driven tilt hammer used for crushing metal ore in Yorkshire.’
- ‘The Society had earlier been instrumental in saving the tilt hammers in the forge from being scrapped in 1942.’
- ‘The tilt hammer could perform the labor of twenty men and greatly increased productivity.’
- ‘Water-powered tilt hammers were built in the 17th century.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.