One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A heavy pivoted hammer used in forging, raised mechanically and allowed to drop on the metal being worked.
- ‘He would start the tilt hammers long before day break and these were said to serve as an alarm clock for the early-rising townspeople.’
- ‘Water-powered tilt hammers were built in the 17th century.’
- ‘The Society had earlier been instrumental in saving the tilt hammers in the forge from being scrapped in 1942.’
- ‘The tilt hammer could perform the labor of twenty men and greatly increased productivity.’
- ‘He may have seen this water driven tilt hammer used for crushing metal ore in Yorkshire.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.