Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A heavy pivoted hammer used in forging, raised mechanically and allowed to drop on the metal being worked.
- ‘He may have seen this water driven tilt hammer used for crushing metal ore in Yorkshire.’
- ‘The tilt hammer could perform the labor of twenty men and greatly increased productivity.’
- ‘Water-powered tilt hammers were built in the 17th century.’
- ‘The Society had earlier been instrumental in saving the tilt hammers in the forge from being scrapped in 1942.’
- ‘He would start the tilt hammers long before day break and these were said to serve as an alarm clock for the early-rising townspeople.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.