Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Sedimentary rock composed of compacted glacial till.
- ‘Both the tillite and the rock surface are demonstrably Pre-Cambrian.’
- ‘That tillites were found closely associated with carbonates was cited as additional evidence of huge fluctuations in global climates.’
- ‘He warned that not all poorly sorted rocks were true glacial tillites and thus were unreliable indicators of past climate and continental positioning.’
- ‘One of the classical Late Pre-Cambrian tillites is the Bigganjargga tillite of northern Norway.’
- ‘This isotopic shift is supported by the presence of Musgrave-derived boulders within the tillites that are associated with the rhythmites.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.