Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun], [usually with modifier] An Indian dish of small pieces of meat or vegetables marinated in a spice mixture.‘lamb tikka’
- ‘I've just opened four books on food and wine matching at random to see what they recommend with chicken tikka masala, allegedly the UK's favourite dish.’
- ‘The five meals tested were cheese and tomato pizza, chicken tikka masala, steak and kidney pie, quiche lorraine and beef lasagne.’
- ‘In much the same way as chicken tikka masala suddenly appeared on every Indian takeaway menu, so it was with certain items in fish and chip shops.’
- ‘He had chicken tikka massala and I had rogan josh with Bombay duck; instead of wine, we had beer.’
- ‘The price of the meals was just under £6 and consisted of one chicken korma, one chicken tikka, two naan breads, two onion bhajis and two generous servings of pilau rice.’
- ‘It once won a national award for its chicken tikka masala.’
- ‘Today chicken tikka masala is said to be the most popular dish in ye olde England.’
- ‘Chicken tikka masala has replaced roast beef and Yorkshire pudding as the country's favourite dish.’
- ‘Going for chicken tikka masala, I was rewarded with deliciously cooked meat in a sauce full of flavour and fresh vegetables.’
- ‘Chicken tikka, lamb tikka, tandoori chicken, prawns and mushrooms were dotted around a thick curry sauce that also featured fresh fried garlic, onions, green peppers and medium spices.’
- ‘Chatting over Indian samosas and chicken tikka, she seems candid, confident, light-hearted and completely disarming.’
- ‘Brett cooked a lovely lamb tikka masala for dinner and our Christmas began.’
- ‘They have invented a repertoire of dishes such as tikka masala that you will only find in the UK.’
- ‘My recipe for today is for chicken tikka, not to be confused with chicken tikka masala.’
- ‘Statistics show Britain's favourite foods include beef lasagne, chicken tikka masala and pizza.’
- ‘Cabin staff claimed it was coincidence that the dish of the day was chicken tikka masala.’
- ‘The UK's favourite food has changed from fish and chips to chicken tikka masala - an Anglo-Indian hybrid.’
- ‘I went for the Tandoori Night Special - a mix of Balti chicken and meat tikka, cooked with prawns.’
- ‘These days, chicken tikka masala and rogan josh are as much a part of British life as fish and chips.’
- ‘A slick of oil sits on top of our national dish, the chicken tikka masala.’
From Punjabi ṭikkā.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.