One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An outdoor light that burns gas or oil and is attached to the end of a long pole fixed into the ground.
- ‘Screened from all but the envious eyes of aerial neighbors, New Yorkers with backyards awaken to birdsong and the occasional rabbit and entertain by the light of tiki torches.’
- ‘In my own backyard, we've tried to add that getaway feeling with a few tiki torches and fragrant jasmine.’
- ‘Tropical-print fabric on the garden furniture, a few tiki torches, some large shells, and a surfboard complete the mood.’
- ‘The tiki torches had flickered out, but an 8-foot-long bed of coals glowed eerily in the darkness, waiting for bare feet.’
- ‘The host decorates the back yard in a tropical theme using festival glassware and tiki torches, and sets large umbrellas over the tables to provide some shade.’
- ‘Tiki torches blazed on with timed gas flames and danced merrily in the ever-encroaching darkness.’
- ‘The club boasts three full-sized bars, beach decor, and tiki torches on the outdoor patio.’
- ‘It was a Hawaiian theme, complete with tiki torches, lais, pineapples, bbqed skewers of meat and cheesy Hawaiian music.’
- ‘The night was a little cold, but we huddled around the tiki torches on the balcony, drank a quarter keg, and had a ridiculously good time.’
- ‘Inside her car, police also found several yard items, including tiki torches, hoses and mats that they believe could have been stolen from homes.’
- ‘Perhaps just plant yourself and watch the scene as daylight wanes and the magnificent Hawaiian sun sets around you while tiki torches blaze and the parties get started.’
- ‘Holden and Moll also put floating candles in their pond, lanterns on seat walls, and tiki torches among tropical foliage.’
- ‘Casseroles were unveiled from Saran Wrap prisons and the tiki torches that ringed the patio were lit.’
- ‘Bamboo tiki torches in the corners kept the bugs away, and a stone fountain in the corner offered hushed condolences to the trio.’
- ‘I don't light a match, I light a tiki torch.’
- ‘I snuck out of my family's rented cottage one hot August night and wandered until I happened upon a scene lit by flickering tiki torches and glowing citronella sticks.’
- ‘The surprise and honest hurt on her face became clearly visible in the tiki torch lamp light.’
- ‘Around nine, I started to walk down to the old plantation house it was dark out, except for occasional tiki torches and the moonlit sky.’
- ‘It didn't take me long to spot Garrett in a corner, trying to spark up the soggy tiki torches.’
- ‘For parties and special occasions, light the garden with tiki torches and chunky candles scented with plumeria or gardenia.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.