- variant spelling of Tigray
[mass noun] A Semitic language spoken in Eritrea and adjoining parts of Sudan. It is not the language of Tigray, which is Tigrinya.→ Tigrinya
- ‘The Afro-Semitic languages in Eritrea are Tigre, Tigrinya, and Rashaida.’
- ‘In the border areas with Sudan, however, Kunama speakers know three or four languages, including Arabic, Kunama, and Tigre and Tigrinya.’
- ‘One-third of the Eritrean population speaks Tigre as a primary language.’
- ‘To the north of the Tigrinya speakers live people who speak the closely related language known as Tigre.’
- ‘Nevertheless, the acceptance of Tigre as a language of instruction faces deep resistance.’
The name in Tigre.