Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A team of specialists in a particular field brought together to work on specific tasks.
- ‘And they came as part and parcel of the team, so-called tiger team, that accompanied Major General Miller.’
- ‘Soon, the whole thing will have been a penetration test by a Microsoft tiger team.’
- ‘The Air Force is standing up a "tiger team" to address three major air reserve component issues.’
- ‘Hunter's tiger team had anticipated this logistical nightmare.’
- ‘The project ended up creating a tiger team to look at alternative approaches, and over the course of four weeks designed and started work on their own hybrid engine.’
- ‘That's also why smart goverment agencies and companies hire tiger teams to try and break into their own systems.’
- ‘We're able to do things smarter, but we've had a ' tiger team ' kind of effort for the last two to three years.’
- ‘Baldwin also heads up damage control tiger teams and does random inspections throughout the ship for damage control discrepancies.’
- ‘The tiger team of instructors and maintenance personnel evaluated each step of the emergency procedure to determine how it applied to the existing damage.’
- ‘In the 1970s, members of the U.S. military set up "tiger teams" or "red teams" with hotel rooms filled with communications equipment.’
- ‘When the tiger team confirmed that the closings were all but certain, Dell moved into high gear.’
- ‘Under the auspices of the DON IAWWG, three tiger teams are focusing on manpower and personnel; training and certification; and technological aspects of monitoring, tracking and reporting on the workforce.’
- ‘Part of the reason was the VA assigned "tiger teams" of clerical staff to process the oldest claims filed by the oldest veterans.’
- ‘Not quite the "penetration test by a Microsoft tiger team" you predicted in the latest Crypto-Gram, but it's almost there…’
- ‘Under the direction of the tiger team, all 27 of the Scoutrockets already manufactured for the program were returned to LTV in Dallas to be taken apart and inspected.’
- ‘Our future, if it is to include routine innovation and adaptation, must include staff designs that facilitate this teaming technique, rather than relying solely on ad hoc tiger teams.’
- ‘A "tiger team," composed of members from KSC's Engineering Division, the stage contractors, and Pacific Crane and Rigging, supervised the rush work.’
- ‘(This has been demonstrated several times in the last few years, both with DoD tiger teams and with random teenagers.)’
- ‘And they had become a tiger team focused on a complicated problem a little closer to home.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.