Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large edible prawn marked with dark bands, found in the Indian and Pacific oceans.
- ‘Lightly sear the tiger prawns and reserve on the same plate as the scallops.’
- ‘We started with some tiger prawns, which were excellent.’
- ‘Super Mum had the pan-roasted West Cork scallops and black tiger shrimp with a pearl barley and mascarpone risotto, and lemon confit for €45.’
- ‘But then, perhaps you'd like to be more adventurous and go for the succulent tiger shrimp.’
- ‘I go for a daily special: blackened tiger shrimp with grilled polenta and squash and avocado butters.’
- ‘I like to serve juicy tiger prawns with a spiced vinaigrette for dipping.’
- ‘He also diversified into higher value product lines such as frozen tiger prawns.’
- ‘Pasta dishes, fresh halibut, black tiger prawns or chicken satays will satisfy any hunger.’
- ‘Lili opted for tiger prawns to start, with a well-cooked fillet steak for main course.’
- ‘Starters on the main menu cost between £2.95 for soup and £5.95 for tiger prawns.’
- ‘This dressing goes equally well with tiger prawns and monkfish.’
- ‘Although we use langoustines in our restaurant, meaty fresh tiger prawns are a good substitute.’
- ‘Two species are popular in the UK: northern prawns, which are found on muddy sea-bottoms in cold water, and larger tiger prawns, from warm, tropical waters.’
- ‘A friend opted for tiger prawns with spinach wrapped in chicken and was not disappointed.’
- ‘I started with mussels, tiger prawns and scallops in a light fish broth flavoured with Chinese spices.’
- ‘Inside the open area were baskets of various fresh fish, tiger prawns, large mud crabs, clams and other shellfish.’
- ‘Michael's dish turned out to be stir-fried vegetables with tiger prawns on rice, topped with oyster sauce.’
- ‘Bea started with kebabs of Loch Fyne scallops and bacon, while I chose the pan-fried tiger prawns with ginger, lime and coriander.’
- ‘The garlic tiger prawns were pathetically small, but what made the dish truly bizarre was that it was served with what appeared to be gooseberries.’
- ‘Why import frozen tiger prawns from Thailand when you can eat locally caught langoustines, freshly cooked, even if it is only on certain days of the week and at certain times of year?’
- ‘My linguine di mare contained a generous portion of tiger shrimp, tender calamari, bay scallops and mussels, tossed with al dente linguine and a light oregano-scented tomato sauce.’
- ‘Greg stabbed at a large, overcooked tiger shrimp with a fork.’
- ‘I ordered fresh scallops and tiger prawns cooked in butter, garlic, white wine and parsley.’
- ‘I started with the deep fried tiger prawns in filo pastry with Thai dipping sauce for €7.50.’
- ‘The shop also has a wide range of seafood including tiger prawns, mussels, sea bream and breaded crab claws.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.