Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large edible prawn marked with dark bands, found in the Indian and Pacific oceans.
- ‘Bea started with kebabs of Loch Fyne scallops and bacon, while I chose the pan-fried tiger prawns with ginger, lime and coriander.’
- ‘I started with mussels, tiger prawns and scallops in a light fish broth flavoured with Chinese spices.’
- ‘I ordered fresh scallops and tiger prawns cooked in butter, garlic, white wine and parsley.’
- ‘Two species are popular in the UK: northern prawns, which are found on muddy sea-bottoms in cold water, and larger tiger prawns, from warm, tropical waters.’
- ‘Pasta dishes, fresh halibut, black tiger prawns or chicken satays will satisfy any hunger.’
- ‘The garlic tiger prawns were pathetically small, but what made the dish truly bizarre was that it was served with what appeared to be gooseberries.’
- ‘Inside the open area were baskets of various fresh fish, tiger prawns, large mud crabs, clams and other shellfish.’
- ‘The shop also has a wide range of seafood including tiger prawns, mussels, sea bream and breaded crab claws.’
- ‘Lightly sear the tiger prawns and reserve on the same plate as the scallops.’
- ‘This dressing goes equally well with tiger prawns and monkfish.’
- ‘Why import frozen tiger prawns from Thailand when you can eat locally caught langoustines, freshly cooked, even if it is only on certain days of the week and at certain times of year?’
- ‘Although we use langoustines in our restaurant, meaty fresh tiger prawns are a good substitute.’
- ‘Starters on the main menu cost between £2.95 for soup and £5.95 for tiger prawns.’
- ‘Lili opted for tiger prawns to start, with a well-cooked fillet steak for main course.’
- ‘A friend opted for tiger prawns with spinach wrapped in chicken and was not disappointed.’
- ‘We started with some tiger prawns, which were excellent.’
- ‘I like to serve juicy tiger prawns with a spiced vinaigrette for dipping.’
- ‘Michael's dish turned out to be stir-fried vegetables with tiger prawns on rice, topped with oyster sauce.’
- ‘I started with the deep fried tiger prawns in filo pastry with Thai dipping sauce for €7.50.’
- ‘He also diversified into higher value product lines such as frozen tiger prawns.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.