Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a number of aggressive predatory fish.
- ‘Expeditions in pursuit of Atlantic blue marlin, Indian mahseer, tiger fish, Pacific salmon were the norm and what fantastic prize trips they were.’
- ‘The 20 lb tiger fish - which was almost four-and-a-half feet long - had been specially imported from Bangladesh for the attempt and was cooked in a huge pan.’
- ‘Fishing competitions for the country's most voracious predator, the tiger fish, are often held around this time of the year.’
- ‘That night I caught three big tiger fish.’
- ‘So we took the wine and a tiger fish outside and cooked our meal under the stars.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.