Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A fast-running predatory beetle which has spotted or striped wing cases and flies in sunshine. The larvae live in tunnels from which they snatch passing insect prey.
- ‘This tiger beetle, a common element of the forest fauna, is one of the largest in Trinidad.’
- ‘The Ohlone tiger beetle, an insect that exists only in Santa Cruz County, California, received final protection as an endangered species on October 3.’
- ‘As an adult, the tiger beetle is one of the top insect predators on the beach.’
- ‘Wilson briefly described a ‘waiting game’ between tiger beetles and their prey in which prey stopped moving when approached by the beetles.’
- ‘It is unclear why the chiasmatic systems in other Coleoptera are evolutionarily less stable than the achiasmatic system in tiger beetles.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.