One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in 16th- and 17th-century Spanish music) a contrapuntal piece resembling a ricercar, originally for strings and later for organ.
- ‘Among his best pieces are tientos of great structural variety, glosas, and diferencias.’
- ‘Is there something specific that is supposed to be included in the song for it to be considered a tiento?’
- ‘Musically, tientos and all flamenco songs employ a variety of challenging techniques.’
- ‘In this volume, which deals with tientos, he examines the meter, guitar playing, singing and dancing in this flamenco form.’
- ‘The tientos are ‘essays’ and the form is not that different from the Elizabethan fantasia, a sort of improvisation on a musical phrase obeying its own internal rules.’
Spanish, literally ‘touch, feel’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.