One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A basin for boats which is accessible or navigable only at high tide.
- ‘It will be deployed in the Gulf Stream, 11 miles off the Florida coast, but the 120-kilowatt system also works in tidal basins and rivers.’
- ‘Thousands flock to the park's amphitheater, which surrounds a river tidal basin.’
- ‘It is in an intimate valley formed by a stream flowing into a tidal basin.’
- ‘So I was very upset to be 10 minutes late for the curtain because of the insane parking lot of traffic clogging the streets around the tidal basin and the cherry blossoms in their annual orgy of pinkness.’
- ‘‘Until now, policy makers have focused on rivers, tidal basins and oceans, excluding a discussion of lakes,’ he said.’
- ‘The resort's legendary kids program offers cultural and ecological richness with activities like polefishing in the lagoon, examining sea urchins in tidal basins, or creating beautiful flower leis.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.