Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A basin for boats which is accessible or navigable only at high tide.
- ‘It is in an intimate valley formed by a stream flowing into a tidal basin.’
- ‘It will be deployed in the Gulf Stream, 11 miles off the Florida coast, but the 120-kilowatt system also works in tidal basins and rivers.’
- ‘The resort's legendary kids program offers cultural and ecological richness with activities like polefishing in the lagoon, examining sea urchins in tidal basins, or creating beautiful flower leis.’
- ‘‘Until now, policy makers have focused on rivers, tidal basins and oceans, excluding a discussion of lakes,’ he said.’
- ‘Thousands flock to the park's amphitheater, which surrounds a river tidal basin.’
- ‘So I was very upset to be 10 minutes late for the curtain because of the insane parking lot of traffic clogging the streets around the tidal basin and the cherry blossoms in their annual orgy of pinkness.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.