One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Fulfil all the necessary requirements.‘the new album should tick all the right boxes for their many fans’
- ‘Lulu, a former Eurovision winner who appeared on the show, said that Miss Ewen " ticked all the boxes ".’
- ‘Just two hours from Paris yet within a feasible drive to the tin can if the weather was bad, it was ticking all the boxes.’
- ‘Fox is a crime writer who can tick all the right boxes.’
- ‘No contender, real or perceived, ticks all the boxes.’
- ‘Good quality veneered furniture, reconstituted stone, granite sheeting do a job and will tick all the boxes for the discerning yet canny shopper.’
- ‘Still, it cornered smartly, everything looked tidy and it ticked all the right boxes for practicality.’
- ‘His background ticks all the right boxes for working for the royals, not least working closely with the UN special envoy in Sarajevo.’
- ‘The spokesman said he " ticked all the boxes ".’
- ‘With a cast that tick all the boxes, this show is sure to be one of this season's must sees.’
- ‘I think that ticks all the boxes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.