Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The religion of Tibet, a form of Mahayana Buddhism. It was formed in the 8th century ad from a combination of Buddhism and the indigenous Tibetan religion. The head of the religion is the Dalai Lama.
- ‘To begin with, what feature of Tibetan Buddhism do you think differentiates it from other types of Buddhism or other spiritual paths?’
- ‘The main religion is Lamaism, which is the Yellow Sect of Tibetan Buddhism.’
- ‘The second most prominent spiritual leader in Tibetan Buddhism is the Panchen Lama, followed by the Karmapa Lama.’
- ‘The best known face of Tibetan Buddhism is the Dalai Lama, who has lived in exile in India since he fled Chinese occupation of his country in 1959.’
- ‘He said there are approximately 150 Tibetan Buddhist groups and more than 500,000 believers in Tibetan Buddhism in Taiwan.’
- ‘You probably know that in Tibetan Buddhism we have many incarnate Lamas.’
- ‘The first six of these nine vehicles are common to all schools of Tibetan Buddhism, whereas the last three, the Innermost Tantras, are exclusive to the Nyingma tradition.’
- ‘What I found especially helpful was a discussion of Tibetan Buddhism and the Dalai Lama, put into a wider context.’
- ‘Mahamudra, the practice of looking directly at the mind, is the pinnacle of meditation and study in the Kagyu school of Tibetan Buddhism.’
- ‘A central practice in Tibetan Buddhism is positive perception.’
- ‘Hierarchy is very important in the tradition of Tibetan Buddhism.’
- ‘These were the four great schools of Tibetan Buddhism, which will be introduced below.’
- ‘He is considered the No.3 leader of Tibetan Buddhism after the Dalai Lama and the Panchen Lama.’
- ‘According to one estimate, three out of four Western visitors to the spiritual center of Tibetan Buddhism and the seat of the Dalai Lama are Jewish.’
- ‘In Tibetan Buddhism, the Lama has such an elevated and important role.’
- ‘All walks of life watched this Buddhist reincarnation espouse the basic tenets of Tibetan Buddhism.’
- ‘So we refer today to Japanese Buddhism, Chinese Buddhism, Tibetan Buddhism.’
- ‘Many further speculative explanations of the significance of the mantra are found in Tibetan Buddhism.’
- ‘She left a number of wonderful books about her adventures and her treatises on Tibetan Buddhism as a religious doctrine.’
- ‘But the Dalai Lama, who is the recognised leader of Tibetan Buddhism, is careful not to drown his audiences in too many technical Buddhist concepts.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.