Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A protein present in the thyroid gland, from which thyroid hormones are synthesized.
- ‘Thyroid antibodies were measured by an immunoradiographic procedure using thyroglobulin and purified thyroid peroxidase in 11 subjects.’
- ‘Chronic stimulation of the receptor causes an increase in the synthesis of a major thyroid hormone precursor, thyroglobulin.’
- ‘Immunostains for thyroglobulin were positive in both tumor elements, and calcitonin stain was negative.’
- ‘The test measures a protein known as thyroglobulin, which is made by thyroid-cancer cells.’
- ‘The tissue specific expression of thyroglobulin and parathyroid hormone is commonly used for diagnosis and follow up of patients with thyroid cancer.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.