One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A four-layered semiconductor rectifier in which the flow of current between two electrodes is triggered by a signal at a third electrode.
- ‘There is a need for two conditions to be present simultaneously to turn on the thyristor.’
- ‘Thyristor phase control leads to additional energy losses and heating in the motor and this should be taken into account when selecting the power rating.’
- ‘The company offers a broad range of thyristor products that are used in a variety of applications.’
- ‘If the thyristor is used with an ac supply then it will conduct on the positive half cycles and automatically switch off during the negative half cycles.’
- ‘The thyristor is the device that's used in all wall dimmer switches.’
1950s: blend of thyratron, denoting a kind of thermionic valve (from Greek thura ‘gate’) and transistor.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.