A rare, usually benign tumour arising from thymus tissue and sometimes associated with myasthenia gravis.
- ‘Rare cases of thymomas, thymic carcinomas, and lymphomas have been reported.’
- ‘Among the topics discussed are how to code gastrointestinal sarcomas and malignant lymphomas, as well as malignant thymomas.’
- ‘At this point the differential diagnosis included thymoma, teratoma and lymphoma.’
- ‘About 45% of thymomas are associated with myasthenia gravis.’
- ‘The majority of thymomas are benign, and patients have a survival rate equal to that of the general population.’
Early 20th century: from thymus + -oma.