One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lymphocyte within the thymus gland.
- ‘The systemic immune effects include increased apoptosis of thymocytes, decreased macrophage phagocytosis, thymic atrophy and diminished allograft rejection.’
- ‘All the three proteoglycans stimulated mice thymocyte and splenocyte proliferation and elevated cell cytotoxicity.’
- ‘In this system, viruses replicate faster, achieve higher titres, and deplete thymocytes better than their unmutated counterparts.’
- ‘The effect of thymic peptide on the functions of tissue macrophages, tumor-associated macrophages, and tumor-induced apoptosis of thymocytes was studied.’
- ‘Double positive thymocytes and natural killer cell systems have recently been reported that also only exhibit segregation.’
1920s: from thymus + -cyte.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.