Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Each of a number of flattened sacs inside a chloroplast, bounded by pigmented membranes on which the light reactions of photosynthesis take place, and arranged in stacks or grana.[as modifier] ‘thylakoid membranes’
- ‘Affected leaf tissue is white and the plastids lack thylakoids and chlorophyll.’
- ‘The pigment proteolipids of thylakoids have both a photosynthetic function and a role in membrane structure.’
- ‘Chloroplasts at the proximal end of the cell also have grana, but with up to nine thylakoids per stack.’
- ‘Chloroplast envelopes, stacked grana and unstacked stroma thylakoids were well-defined.’
- ‘This organelle contains a complex membrane system, the thylakoids, in which the photosynthetic machinery is located.’
1960s: from German Thylakoid, from Greek thulakoidēs pouch-like, from thulakos pouch.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.