Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A shower of rain accompanied by thunder and lightning.
- ‘Officials said that recent afternoon thundershowers have increased the water level in the river, further mitigating the effects of the pollution.’
- ‘Today's forecast for the eastern half of the province is cloudy and cool with widespread rain and thundershowers.’
- ‘However welcome a few good showers might be, there is no doubt that getting drenched in a thundershower, is not a pleasurable experience.’
- ‘We are hoping for thunder showers in the area.’
- ‘There is the chance that next week or next month, there will be another burst or two of more widespread thundershowers.’
- ‘That strong cold front still making its way through here bringing showers and thundershowers.’
- ‘We're feeling the impact across much of Louisiana at this hour with showers and thundershowers.’
- ‘According to officials of the weather department, parts of the city and suburbs will experience thundershowers and heavy rains during the next two days.’
- ‘More than half the rain falls in the wet season from June through September and is associated with thundershowers, squalls, and tropical cyclones.’
- ‘Sunday evening's thundershower whipped up hopes that the rains may be back.’
- ‘The weather is expected to clear along the coast today, although scattered thundershowers are expected over the Eastern Cape interior.’
- ‘It is not usual to have brief afternoon thundershowers in the summer.’
- ‘The forecasts have been asking us to watch out for thunderclouds and thundershowers for a long while now.’
- ‘Unexpected thundershowers, beyond our control, caused a power outage at about midnight.’
- ‘It was a hot and sultry day, but towards evening there was a hint of a thundershower bringing some relief from the enervating heat.’
- ‘You can see northern California already getting hit hard with some heavy showers and thundershowers.’
- ‘Summers were hot and dry except for occasional thundershowers.’
- ‘India Meteorological Department officials have predicted heavy to very heavy rainfall with thundershowers till Monday morning for Gujarat region.’
- ‘Yesterday in Taichung City, sudden thundershowers in the afternoon forced Taichung Airport to shut down for two hours.’
- ‘East London residents should prepare for more rain with thundershowers this afternoon but the rain is expected to lessen tomorrow.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.