Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for thrips
- ‘Are thunderflies the little black things that are inaudible until they're half an inch from your ear, at which point they instantly sound relatively louder then a Tornado jet?’
- ‘Yes, thunderflies (otherwise known as thrips, or in my family as thunderbugs) are just what you need to ruin a perfect summer day.’
- ‘Its 52 degrees here and there's thunderflies in the garden!’
- ‘Or it could be that the electrical fields of an approaching thunderstorm do something strange to the thunderfly.’
- ‘LG aftersales service is superb - I got a couple of thunderflies in mine - swapped out next day.’
- ‘Well, I was just where those thunderflies are predominant, and gladly it's not near where I am.’
- ‘The thunderfly is still in the monitor.’
- ‘A dark cloud of thunderflies was all over me and I can't stop itching because they're so tickly.’
- ‘Got a midget (or thunderfly OR stupid little black bugs which are everywhere when its hot) which has crawled, and died, underneath my laptop LCD screen.’
- ‘These insects, often called thunderflies or thunderbugs, feed on plant juices from leaves or young shoots of trees and shrubs.’
- ‘The moment you have a thunderfly or two, turn off your monitor, and use a different one for a few days.’
- ‘About 2 weeks ago a friend of my discovered a small thunderfly moving about inside the screen of his laptop.’
- ‘Yep, I had a thunderfly under the screen of my old laptop.’
- ‘Here come the thrips (also called thunderflies) to chew their way through a bud or five.’
- ‘I just wish I knew how to clean out the odd thunderfly that gets in between the tft and the light panel behind it.’
- ‘Fruit flies and thunderflies visit here in hoards at this time of year.’
- ‘With the heat, windows have been open and now I see a thunderfly in my screen crawling around just waiting to die and get stuck there.’
- ‘They sound like midges to me, I've never heard of the term thunderfly being used before this thread.’
- ‘Other common names for thrips include thunderflies, thunderbugs, storm flies and corn lice.’
- ‘System failures account for the biggest category of false alarms but thunderflies and dust triggering the alarm mechanisms are responsible for nearly 14% of them.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.