One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A primitive or makeshift toilet.
lavatory, wc, water closet, convenience, public convenience, facilities, urinal, privy, latrine, outhouse, earth closet, jakesView synonyms
- ‘They were, however, equipped with a wooden W.C. or ‘thunderbox’.’
- ‘There were a few other interesting arrangements: the cathedra of Malcolm ‘Golden Sceptre’ Turnbull is next to the thunderbox of Wilson ‘Iron Bar’ Tuckey.’
- ‘On at least one noxious occasion Mad Max barked orders to her as he sat astride a thunderbox, a horrendous experience for anyone of a sensitive disposition.’
- ‘When they tore ivy full of birds' nests from the walls, they replaced it with 36 sparrow boxes; the thunderbox loo has an inbuilt heater.’
- ‘He sends in a message on a piece of loo roll (honestly, it's true) suggesting he had tried the sandwich and ‘I'm still in here (the thunderbox)!’’
- ‘Until then, the play is set in a sort of Scots mock - baronial splendour, filled with tinctures and libraries of apothecaries' texts, and complete with thunderous thunderbox.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.