One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A short flat-headed pin, used for fastening paper to a wall or other surface; a drawing pin.
- ‘However, you can turn it into a more traditional screen by attaching panels of cloth to the back of the frames with a few thumbtacks or staples.’
- ‘The North American media are if possible overplaying the soap operatic performances of Jacques Chirac and Gerhard Schroeder, as they strew thumbtacks along the road to Baghdad.’
- ‘Do you dare risk losing the edges of your Lucian Freud poster to a malignant thumbtack?’
- ‘Hardcore is known for things like rolling around on piles of thumbtacks or hitting opponents with flaming 2x4s.’
- ‘You know the plastic bit on thumbtacks which aren't really thumbtacks?’
- ‘The moon was like a white thumbtack, pinning up the sheet of night.’
- ‘I need some thumbtacks to put up some stuff in my new room to make it all homey.’
- ‘One day, they'll learn about the magic of sandpaper and thumbtacks hidden inside the pitcher's glove.’
- ‘Gold hoop in her navel; her ears, studded with beads and gold balls, looked like the corner of the reminder board where you stick the extra thumbtacks.’
- ‘Imagine an HDTV you take home under your arm in a cardboard shipping tube and attach to your wall with thumbtacks or carpet tape.’
- ‘Lighter objects can be hung with decorative pins or thumbtacks.’
- ‘The narrow hallway walls were covered with newspaper clippings and photographs, all stuck on with thumbtacks and masking tape.’
- ‘Indoors, you may need some tape or thumbtacks to fasten your background to a wall.’
- ‘Too late - at this speed, it's approximately as effective as scattering thumbtacks in front of advancing armour.’
- ‘Why are teenagers holding wrestling matches in which thumbtacks, chairs, and tables play such important roles?’
- ‘There were a lot of maps scattered all over the floor, yet some were hanging on the walls with thumbtacks pinned on various strategic locations.’
- ‘All companies, no matter the industry, have to buy routine goods to function - pens, copier toner, thumbtacks.’
- ‘Digging around in the box, she pulled out her new corkboard and a pack of brass thumbtacks.’
- ‘They couldn't even hang flyers up by themselves until she demonstrated the method that used the fewest thumbtacks.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.