One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A short flat-headed pin, used for fastening paper to a wall or other surface; a drawing pin.
- ‘However, you can turn it into a more traditional screen by attaching panels of cloth to the back of the frames with a few thumbtacks or staples.’
- ‘Digging around in the box, she pulled out her new corkboard and a pack of brass thumbtacks.’
- ‘I need some thumbtacks to put up some stuff in my new room to make it all homey.’
- ‘One day, they'll learn about the magic of sandpaper and thumbtacks hidden inside the pitcher's glove.’
- ‘Gold hoop in her navel; her ears, studded with beads and gold balls, looked like the corner of the reminder board where you stick the extra thumbtacks.’
- ‘They couldn't even hang flyers up by themselves until she demonstrated the method that used the fewest thumbtacks.’
- ‘Too late - at this speed, it's approximately as effective as scattering thumbtacks in front of advancing armour.’
- ‘Do you dare risk losing the edges of your Lucian Freud poster to a malignant thumbtack?’
- ‘There were a lot of maps scattered all over the floor, yet some were hanging on the walls with thumbtacks pinned on various strategic locations.’
- ‘All companies, no matter the industry, have to buy routine goods to function - pens, copier toner, thumbtacks.’
- ‘The narrow hallway walls were covered with newspaper clippings and photographs, all stuck on with thumbtacks and masking tape.’
- ‘Indoors, you may need some tape or thumbtacks to fasten your background to a wall.’
- ‘Why are teenagers holding wrestling matches in which thumbtacks, chairs, and tables play such important roles?’
- ‘Imagine an HDTV you take home under your arm in a cardboard shipping tube and attach to your wall with thumbtacks or carpet tape.’
- ‘Hardcore is known for things like rolling around on piles of thumbtacks or hitting opponents with flaming 2x4s.’
- ‘The moon was like a white thumbtack, pinning up the sheet of night.’
- ‘The North American media are if possible overplaying the soap operatic performances of Jacques Chirac and Gerhard Schroeder, as they strew thumbtacks along the road to Baghdad.’
- ‘Lighter objects can be hung with decorative pins or thumbtacks.’
- ‘You know the plastic bit on thumbtacks which aren't really thumbtacks?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.