Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- North American term for drawing pin
- ‘Hardcore is known for things like rolling around on piles of thumbtacks or hitting opponents with flaming 2x4s.’
- ‘The narrow hallway walls were covered with newspaper clippings and photographs, all stuck on with thumbtacks and masking tape.’
- ‘I need some thumbtacks to put up some stuff in my new room to make it all homey.’
- ‘The moon was like a white thumbtack, pinning up the sheet of night.’
- ‘Too late - at this speed, it's approximately as effective as scattering thumbtacks in front of advancing armour.’
- ‘You know the plastic bit on thumbtacks which aren't really thumbtacks?’
- ‘Digging around in the box, she pulled out her new corkboard and a pack of brass thumbtacks.’
- ‘However, you can turn it into a more traditional screen by attaching panels of cloth to the back of the frames with a few thumbtacks or staples.’
- ‘All companies, no matter the industry, have to buy routine goods to function - pens, copier toner, thumbtacks.’
- ‘Indoors, you may need some tape or thumbtacks to fasten your background to a wall.’
- ‘There were a lot of maps scattered all over the floor, yet some were hanging on the walls with thumbtacks pinned on various strategic locations.’
- ‘They couldn't even hang flyers up by themselves until she demonstrated the method that used the fewest thumbtacks.’
- ‘The North American media are if possible overplaying the soap operatic performances of Jacques Chirac and Gerhard Schroeder, as they strew thumbtacks along the road to Baghdad.’
- ‘Imagine an HDTV you take home under your arm in a cardboard shipping tube and attach to your wall with thumbtacks or carpet tape.’
- ‘Lighter objects can be hung with decorative pins or thumbtacks.’
- ‘One day, they'll learn about the magic of sandpaper and thumbtacks hidden inside the pitcher's glove.’
- ‘Gold hoop in her navel; her ears, studded with beads and gold balls, looked like the corner of the reminder board where you stick the extra thumbtacks.’
- ‘Do you dare risk losing the edges of your Lucian Freud poster to a malignant thumbtack?’
- ‘Why are teenagers holding wrestling matches in which thumbtacks, chairs, and tables play such important roles?’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.