Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A tall walking stick with a forked thumb rest at the top.
walking stick, cane, staffView synonyms
- ‘You'll need a stout thumb stick, Gortex hiking boots, multicoloured knee length socks, bobble hat and that all important indispensable piece of equipment - the cagool.’
2A basic control lever for audio and televisual equipment.
- ‘You can fill your meter and activate your special move via the right thumb stick.’
- ‘Above the thumb stick is a four-way rocker pad that serves as your cursor keys, while there's a button in the centre that selects the highlighted option.’
- ‘I can't remember the last time I was on a star ship and someone told me that we were being shot at, and then calmly told me about using thumb sticks and buttons and what not.’
- ‘Too many developers treat the right thumb stick as if it were a mouse - if you want your game to play well on a console, you simply can't do that.’
- ‘This version finally implemented the use of the right thumb stick for freestyle moves, but the addition seems a little to late and sloppy.’
- ‘Like the first game, Hitman 2 is played predominantly from the third person, but in the sequel, gamers also have the option of depressing the right thumb stick to switch to a first-person view.’
- ‘The only thing to prevent you from reading a novel while you wait for your turn to end is that you'll occasionally have to wiggle the left thumb stick to receive points instead of losing them.’
- ‘Once you've passed to a receiver, you can control that receiver with the right thumb stick.’
- ‘Pressing the thumb stick inwards is equivalent to pressing the left mouse button.’
- ‘R1 is used in association with the left thumb stick to perform counter attacks.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.