Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of various musical instruments, mainly of African origin, made from strips of metal fastened to a resonator and played by plucking with the fingers and thumbs.
- ‘Drums are a common instrument, as are wooden xylophones; bow harps; zithers; and the sanza, a small thumb piano fashioned from bamboo.’
- ‘It is called ‘The Signet’ - a sort of giant thumb piano + that resonates through a desized 44 gallon drum.’
- ‘Dance, accompanied by the drum, xylo-phone, or thumb piano, plays an important cultural role in Zambia.’
- ‘Traditional instruments, such as the thumb piano and various drums, are often used to accompany singers and dancers.’
- ‘This instrument, the thumb piano, is the backbone of the musical culture of the Bantu Shona people.’
- ‘After toying with the African thumb piano, however, Ezell was once again, ‘infused with creative energy.’’
- ‘Burundian craftsmen make fine instruments such as the thumb piano (ikembe).’
- ‘A must for international roots fans, the veteran musician plays her own uplifting pieces on the Mbira thumb piano.’
- ‘One of the most engaging tracks is Mama, with its compelling thumb piano line, high life guitar, and mesmerising vocal chants.’
- ‘Fabio is a master of the traditional 22-key Mbira thumb piano, and his mix of east and north African tribal rhythms is truly mesmerising.’
- ‘The primary instruments are drums but lutes, woodwinds, and thumb pianos are also used.’
- ‘These dances are very lively and use the traditional instruments of drums, an instrument similar to a xylophone, and a thumb piano.’
- ‘Gone are the days when world music meant nose flutes and thumb pianos.’
- ‘The opening orchestration evokes for me the sound of the African thumb piano, although one of symphonic size.’
- ‘When this sound duets with a real or imaginary thumb piano as the track comes to a close, another aesthetic plateau is reached and the music's place in time becomes fuzzy.’
- ‘Though it still makes liberal use of the massive sound of the ngoma, Tandala departs from heavy rhythm on some tracks for the softer sounds of a simple thumb piano and vocals.’
- ‘Rod made an industrial version of the African thumb piano, constructed from a 44-gallon plastic drum.’
- ‘The traditional mbira - or thumb piano - became the primary weapon in a culture war against the white colonial Government of Rhodesia.’
- ‘The textures emanating from that box are also hard to put into words, like a delayed thumb piano, perhaps?’
- ‘The artist also has a long-standing interest in traditional Igbo poet-singers, or minstrels, who accompany themselves on the ubo - the Igbo-style mbira, or thumb piano.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.