One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A set of lettered grooves cut down the side of a book, especially a diary, address book, or dictionary, for easy reference.
- ‘The Indexed Edition features 21 thumb indexes and comes in a gold-embossed, two-piece blue box.’
- ‘Kent's volume is a good size for students starting out in homeopathy and has a thumb index for added ease of use.’
- ‘These known stepped or thumb indexes are easily damaged by being folded or worn-out according to long time use and this spoils the beauty of the pocketbook and the atlas.’
- ‘One of the key design elements of the brochure is the series of thumb indexes along the face of the book.’
- ‘Color-coded main topic sections serve as thumb indexes and are coordinated to match the table of contents, making the sections very quick and easy to find.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.