One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An evergreen coniferous tree of a genus that includes the western red cedar.
Genus Thuja, family CupressaceaeAlso called arbor vitae
- ‘Thuja (arborvitaes) has three primary species; one from the eastern United States, one from northern China and another from the Pacific Northwest.’
- ‘The herbs blue flag root, thuja leaf and burdock root are good for reducing goiter (enlargement of the thyroid gland).’
- ‘The Arboretum contains four hundred species of tree and shrub including walnut, beech, cedar, giant thuya, cypress and cork oak.’
- ‘A few years ago I killed the only Thuja I ever had.’
- ‘I have looked at Thuja and it seems to be the tree for me.’
Modern Latin (genus name), from Greek thuia, denoting an African tree formerly included in the genus.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.