An evergreen coniferous tree of a genus that includes the western red cedar.Also called arbor vitae
- ‘The Arboretum contains four hundred species of tree and shrub including walnut, beech, cedar, giant thuya, cypress and cork oak.’
- ‘I have looked at Thuja and it seems to be the tree for me.’
- ‘The herbs blue flag root, thuja leaf and burdock root are good for reducing goiter (enlargement of the thyroid gland).’
- ‘Thuja (arborvitaes) has three primary species; one from the eastern United States, one from northern China and another from the Pacific Northwest.’
- ‘A few years ago I killed the only Thuja I ever had.’
Modern Latin (genus name), from Greek thuia, denoting an African tree formerly included in the genus.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.