Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device for reversing the flow of gas from a jet engine so as to produce a retarding backward force.
- ‘A fully loaded aircraft is capable of backing up a 2% gradient slope using the directed flow thrust reversers.’
- ‘Post-flight inspection revealed that the deactivated thrust reverser's aft sleeve hook safety wire had failed.’
- ‘Abort procedures are very similar among many Air Force aircraft, with minor differences such as thrust reversers or tail hooks to help the situation.’
- ‘Other airlines have policies not to use thrust reversers, so Qantas is just following standard industry practice.’
- ‘As with all Falcon trijets, the center engine will have a thrust reverser.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.