One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A stick used by Australian Aborigines to throw a spear with more force.‘their spears were longer and they carried a throwing stick’
- ‘His throwing stick was below it on the hillside and his extra spears were scattered around him.’
- ‘We find representations or stencils of hands or artefacts such as boomerangs, throwing sticks or nets.’
- ‘I envy the Aborigine his ability to survive the outback spaces with his knowledge and a throwing stick.’
- ‘When our party first mounted the cliffs, a throwing stick, a broken spear, and some stones were found.’
- ‘Naturally, when with a great deal of pains a throwing stick had been made out of carefully chosen wood, the hunter did not want to lose it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.