One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A stick used by Australian Aborigines to throw a spear with more force.‘their spears were longer and they carried a throwing stick’
- ‘We find representations or stencils of hands or artefacts such as boomerangs, throwing sticks or nets.’
- ‘His throwing stick was below it on the hillside and his extra spears were scattered around him.’
- ‘Naturally, when with a great deal of pains a throwing stick had been made out of carefully chosen wood, the hunter did not want to lose it.’
- ‘I envy the Aborigine his ability to survive the outback spaces with his knowledge and a throwing stick.’
- ‘When our party first mounted the cliffs, a throwing stick, a broken spear, and some stones were found.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.