Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A performance by or competition between DJs, rappers, or similar artistes.‘a funky hip-hop throwdown’
- ‘Good thing, too - especially for the Illatropolis Crew, who let the honeys slide rent-free at the gate at their monthly Payday throwdowns.’
- ‘Jump in the lift, hit the top floor, run into my man Word Perfect, and there I am in the midst of a weeknight hiphop MC freestyle throwdown.’
- ‘That all said, I feel that we're still owed the big throwdown between the Alpha Quadrant and the Borg.’
- ‘This ninth annual throwdown features DJ Bliss and others TBA, and sparkling something-or-other at midnight.’
- ‘With all its wailing horns, weed-tinged organs, slammed guitars and throwdown vocals, Ode to Joy is exactly what makes the 21st century such a great time for rock music.’
- ‘Sunday, Dekoze will return to town for a throwdown at the Palace.’
- ‘What made that throwdown last night any of your business?’
- ‘‘Scrappy,’ said Selma, ‘if you want to go challenge God to a throwdown, you can be my guest.’’
- ‘He's talking about his new weekly hip-hop throwdown, Monday Night Blackout at the Khyber.’
- ‘Your Hai Karate hosts, Emes and Grimes, will be joined by turntablists supreme - Klever, J-Smoke, Spiktakular, Kilocee and Pump - for an in-house massive throwdown.’
- ‘To commemorate such a joyous occasion, these guys are having not one but two throwdowns to properly celebrate next week.’
- ‘In essence, the film is performance as acting throwdown, a drawn battle line between the chewing of scenery and the intricacy of craft.’
- ‘Looking ahead, old-school electro specialist and hip hop archivist Freddy Fresh will be stopping in at Living on Saturday, Oct.22, for a little throwdown.’
- ‘I'll be up in there next Tuesday, November 4, playing records to celebrate LB's birthday, but it'll be the last weekly throwdown for a while.’
- ‘This throwdown happens every Saturday at Studio 303 & Studio 608, but you've gotta call and tell them you're coming.’
- ‘In lofts, basements and other clandestine locations, grandiose throwdowns were holding sway over a new generation of pill-popping rhythmaholics.’
- ‘Too much Ancient School throwdown rap is jocked for obscurity rather than quality.’
- ‘If you're interested in taking part in this uptown throwdown, get in touch with Fred at ill email@example.com.’
- ‘The world's top men's tennis players converge in Montreal for a highly competitive throwdown / showdown.’
- ‘From Ar Robotics to All City Hip-Hop, DJ Skipmode's had a hand in nearly every one-off old-school throwdown this city's ever offered.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.