One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Discard something valuable along with other things that are undesirable.
- ‘In this case, I don't see how you could ‘close the loophole’ without throwing the baby out with the bathwater.’
- ‘It is hoped that the reforms will achieve their purpose of improving the health system but will avoid throwing the baby out with the bathwater.’
- ‘Surely what we're doing is throwing the baby out with the bathwater if the failures of individuals lead to the rejection of a religious sense?’
- ‘I feel I'm relatively representative of Canadians and I don't want the Conservatives throwing the baby out with the bathwater.’
- ‘No right-thinking person wants to downplay this problem or its implications, but we are in danger of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.