One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Discard something valuable along with other things that are undesirable.
- ‘No right-thinking person wants to downplay this problem or its implications, but we are in danger of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.’
- ‘It is hoped that the reforms will achieve their purpose of improving the health system but will avoid throwing the baby out with the bathwater.’
- ‘In this case, I don't see how you could ‘close the loophole’ without throwing the baby out with the bathwater.’
- ‘Surely what we're doing is throwing the baby out with the bathwater if the failures of individuals lead to the rejection of a religious sense?’
- ‘I feel I'm relatively representative of Canadians and I don't want the Conservatives throwing the baby out with the bathwater.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.