One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Abandon or discard something.‘the report does not throw the idea overboard completely’
dump, drop, ditch, discharge, eject, throw out, empty out, pour out, tip out, unload, throw overboard, throw over the sideView synonyms
- ‘The administration decided to throw balanced budgets overboard.’
- ‘Yet it is precisely because it is such an anchor that we need to throw it overboard and set ourselves free.’
- ‘You first have to be aware of what you are carrying before you can make the decision to throw it overboard.’
- ‘So why have religious people been cowed into throwing their opinions overboard so easily?’
- ‘Yesterday, with his critics closing in on him, the Tory leader threw that good work overboard.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.