One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Abandon or reject someone as a lover.‘he's going to throw you over for your sister’
abandon, leave, desert, discard, turn one's back on, cast aside, cast offView synonyms
- ‘I assumed that he would rise to the challenge of being with me as I believed he could, and of course no-one thinks their hook-up (even their long-distance hook-up) is going to throw them over for a girl from a third-world country.’
- ‘I've heard so many guys whine about how they can't meet women, how women throw them over for other guys.’
- ‘By the time she gets to 7 months and realises he's not the marrying kind, she throws him over.’
- ‘His first wife threw him over for a teaching assistant on a college campus.’
- ‘Nope, I threw her over because she's a lot of fun, but she can't hold a candle to the love you give me.’
- ‘Early in life, she identified herself through an illicit passion with an aristocrat who threw her over after she became pregnant.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.