One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A forward pass which goes through the opposing team's defence.
- ‘Johnny Luckett-Farley played a through ball into the forward's path and he did the rest.’
- ‘Edwards hares down the right and nearly latches onto a through ball from Birchall.’
- ‘Stuart Cliff broke behind the defence on to a through ball, but before he could get it under control Heeps snaffled it away on the bounce.’
- ‘Any through balls looked over-hit while pass backs resembled recipes for disaster.’
- ‘Morientes shoots a great opportunity over the bar after Ronaldo tees him up with a marvellous through ball.’
- ‘Jancker chases onto a through ball and slides in as the Zubromawi and the keeper clash.’
- ‘Rangers' second, just four minutes later, came after another forward latched on to a through ball from a midfielder.’
- ‘A re-organised midfield began to take control, sending a number of through balls to the pacy forward line.’
- ‘The breakthrough for the home team came when a through ball dropped behind the visitors' back four.’
- ‘He had missed out similarly on a sumptuous through ball from David Beckham in the friendly with Hungary.’
- ‘Vics struck with an early goal in the first half when a through ball caught the Ambleside defence square and provided them with an easy chance.’
- ‘If Henry could have one man supplying the through balls for him at Highbury he would surely select Ronaldinho.’
- ‘He creates so many goals for others with his precision crosses and his sweeping through balls, and has answered Ferggie's call for more goals this season.’
- ‘A threaded through ball from Cabanas is placed delicately past a sprawling Barthez by the excellent Vonlanthen.’
- ‘Everton have used his pace to turn opposition defences, and the through ball has yielded dividends in conjunction with this speed.’
- ‘Rochemback outruns Olivier Bernard as they both chase a through ball into the Newcastle box.’
- ‘Matthew Bland dissected the Padiham defence with a through ball but Hoyle was crowded out as he went to shoot.’
- ‘An exquisite through ball from Titov almost releases the lively Pimenov in the six-yard box.’
- ‘United are coming into this more now: Rooney slides a through ball for Giggs, who is just beaten to it by the keeper.’
- ‘Podolski nearly breaks free but the through ball from Frings hits him on the back of his shins.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.