One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A forward pass which goes through the opposing team's defence.
- ‘Jancker chases onto a through ball and slides in as the Zubromawi and the keeper clash.’
- ‘United are coming into this more now: Rooney slides a through ball for Giggs, who is just beaten to it by the keeper.’
- ‘If Henry could have one man supplying the through balls for him at Highbury he would surely select Ronaldinho.’
- ‘The breakthrough for the home team came when a through ball dropped behind the visitors' back four.’
- ‘Morientes shoots a great opportunity over the bar after Ronaldo tees him up with a marvellous through ball.’
- ‘Rochemback outruns Olivier Bernard as they both chase a through ball into the Newcastle box.’
- ‘Vics struck with an early goal in the first half when a through ball caught the Ambleside defence square and provided them with an easy chance.’
- ‘An exquisite through ball from Titov almost releases the lively Pimenov in the six-yard box.’
- ‘Podolski nearly breaks free but the through ball from Frings hits him on the back of his shins.’
- ‘Everton have used his pace to turn opposition defences, and the through ball has yielded dividends in conjunction with this speed.’
- ‘Any through balls looked over-hit while pass backs resembled recipes for disaster.’
- ‘A re-organised midfield began to take control, sending a number of through balls to the pacy forward line.’
- ‘A threaded through ball from Cabanas is placed delicately past a sprawling Barthez by the excellent Vonlanthen.’
- ‘Stuart Cliff broke behind the defence on to a through ball, but before he could get it under control Heeps snaffled it away on the bounce.’
- ‘He creates so many goals for others with his precision crosses and his sweeping through balls, and has answered Ferggie's call for more goals this season.’
- ‘Rangers' second, just four minutes later, came after another forward latched on to a through ball from a midfielder.’
- ‘Johnny Luckett-Farley played a through ball into the forward's path and he did the rest.’
- ‘Edwards hares down the right and nearly latches onto a through ball from Birchall.’
- ‘He had missed out similarly on a sumptuous through ball from David Beckham in the friendly with Hungary.’
- ‘Matthew Bland dissected the Padiham defence with a through ball but Hoyle was crowded out as he went to shoot.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.