[mass noun] Local coagulation or clotting of the blood in a part of the circulatory system.‘increased risk of thrombosis’[count noun] ‘a coronary thrombosis’
blood clot, embolism, embolus, infarctionstroke, ictus, seizureheart attack, coronary thrombosis, coronaryapoplexyView synonyms
- ‘Patients present with local pressure symptoms, thrombosis, or distal embolisation.’
- ‘History of these conditions increases the risk of deep vein thrombosis after varicose vein surgery and may lead to a decision not to operate.’
- ‘Small or large vessels may be affected, with local thrombosis or thromboembolism from artery to artery or cardiac embolism.’
- ‘Birth control pills can cause a small increase in the risk of thrombosis and heart attack.’
- ‘One complication is a blood clot or thrombosis blocking the flow to the fistula.’
Early 18th century: modern Latin, from Greek thrombōsis curdling, from thrombos blood clot.