Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Deficiency of platelets in the blood. This causes bleeding into the tissues, bruising, and slow blood clotting after injury.
- ‘Anemia with thrombocytopenia indicates leukemia, systemic lupus erythematosus or aplastic anemia.’
- ‘Chronic inhalation abuse may also cause bone marrow depression resulting in leukopenia, anemia, thrombocytopenia, leukemia, and hemolysis.’
- ‘Purpura may be secondary to thrombocytopenia, platelet dysfunction, coagulation factor deficiency or vascular defect.’
- ‘Splenomegaly or giant hemangioma can result in thrombocytopenia because of platelet sequestration.’
- ‘Hemolytic-uremic syndrome is characterized by the triad of microangiopathic hemolytic anemia, thrombocytopenia and acute renal injury.’
1920s: from thrombocyte + Greek penia poverty.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.