One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Abnormal proliferation of the cells that produce blood platelets, leading to an excess of platelets in the blood and increasing risk either of thrombosis or of bleeding.
- ‘Erythromelalgia, a symptom complex of painful inflammatory vasodilatation of extremities, is usually idiopathic or due to thrombocythaemia.’
- ‘Dehydration during the marathon combined with an underlying thrombocythaemia probably precipitated his thrombosis.’
- ‘The blood dyscrasias that most commonly lead to leg ulceration are sickle cell disease, thalassaemia, thrombocythaemia, and polycythaemia rubra vera.’
- ‘I was diagnosed as having essential/primary thrombocythaemia three years ago.’
- ‘We report the clinical findings in a patient with essential thrombocythaemia who presented with partial third nerve paralysis.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.