Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Abnormal proliferation of the cells that produce blood platelets, leading to an excess of platelets in the blood and increasing risk either of thrombosis or of bleeding.
- ‘The blood dyscrasias that most commonly lead to leg ulceration are sickle cell disease, thalassaemia, thrombocythaemia, and polycythaemia rubra vera.’
- ‘Dehydration during the marathon combined with an underlying thrombocythaemia probably precipitated his thrombosis.’
- ‘We report the clinical findings in a patient with essential thrombocythaemia who presented with partial third nerve paralysis.’
- ‘I was diagnosed as having essential/primary thrombocythaemia three years ago.’
- ‘Erythromelalgia, a symptom complex of painful inflammatory vasodilatation of extremities, is usually idiopathic or due to thrombocythaemia.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.