Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a voice or other sound) deep and husky.‘rich, throaty laughter’
gravelly, husky, rough, guttural, deep, thick, gruff, growly, growling, hoarse, croaky, croakingrasping, raspy, harsh, grating, jarring, discordant, dissonant, scratchy, creakystridulantView synonyms
- ‘I replied, realizing that my own voice was suddenly sounding deeper, and throaty too, as if I was trying to seduce him.’
- ‘Instead of her mum's nagging voice she heard a deep throaty laugh.’
- ‘I loved his laugh; it was deep and throaty, and sounded enjoyable.’
- ‘Her unusual, slightly throaty voice grows on you.’
- ‘‘Grrrrr,’ he growls in that deep throaty voice as, apropos of nothing, Nick Faldo walks by.’
- ‘When Donna Hazelton laughs, I hear a deep, throaty noise that I recognise instantly.’
- ‘His voice was throaty and deep when he made that statement, and I felt my stomach clench.’
- ‘They had just got it open when we heard a deep, throaty yell.’
- ‘She has a startling voice, a throaty roar somewhere between Janis Joplin and Mavis Staples.’
- ‘With her darkly beautiful gaze and deep, throaty voice, Bacall isn't so much a love interest for Bogart as a tough, sassy equal.’
- ‘He changed his voice completely, going from a loud outside voice to a low, husky, kind of throaty sexy sound that had her heart skipping beats.’
- ‘It may be unfair to single out particular players, but Gustafsson's raw, throaty tenor and Lonberg-Holm's use of electronics and distortion both grab the attention.’
- ‘And with that he lets out a long, throaty laugh so deep it virtually makes my chair shake.’
- ‘Sometimes they yelp, bark, or make throaty noises while clicking.’
- ‘Somewhere in the back of her mind she heard a deep throaty laugh, making her skin break out in gooseflesh.’
- ‘She lets out a throaty chuckle: ‘I've just come back from a humungous family farewell myself.’’
- ‘I whipped around at the sound of Bey's throaty voice.’
- ‘A rear spoiler appears, the license plate number changes, it gets a tint, an air scoop appears and the engine sounds just get amplified and sound deep and throaty!’
- ‘she laughs, her throaty voice somehow at odds with her beanpole body and all-American looks.’
- ‘The woman was laughing her deep, throaty laugh.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.