One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Sixty.‘threescore years and ten’
- ‘The Bible tells us that ‘the days of our years are threescore and ten’ or, ‘by reason of strength,’ sometimes fourscore.’
- ‘Having posed a similar problem in Tristram Shandy, Sterne rudely knocks it down by informing the reader that ‘Obadiah had not got above threescore yards from the stable-yard before he met with Dr Slop’.’
- ‘Her hair was as grey as someone of threescore and ten years old and cropped short.’
- ‘There has been peace in the land for a threescore years at least; what could possibly happen now?’
- ‘Now the weight of gold that came to Solomon in one year was six hundred threescore and six talents of gold.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.