One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Sixty.‘threescore years and ten’
- ‘Having posed a similar problem in Tristram Shandy, Sterne rudely knocks it down by informing the reader that ‘Obadiah had not got above threescore yards from the stable-yard before he met with Dr Slop’.’
- ‘Now the weight of gold that came to Solomon in one year was six hundred threescore and six talents of gold.’
- ‘Her hair was as grey as someone of threescore and ten years old and cropped short.’
- ‘The Bible tells us that ‘the days of our years are threescore and ten’ or, ‘by reason of strength,’ sometimes fourscore.’
- ‘There has been peace in the land for a threescore years at least; what could possibly happen now?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.