One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A coin worth three old pence (11/4 p).
- ‘Mr Barclay said the threepenny bit would have been produced at a coin mint on the site of the old St Leonard's Hospital, next to York's Museum Gardens.’
- ‘They also included a selection of threepenny bits, a 1916 halfpenny and a penny piece from 1921.’
- ‘And with sixpences becoming more scarce, the tradition may have to be adapted to the handing out of old threepenny bits.’
- ‘It included a threepenny bit, a sixpence, a shilling, a two shilling, a half crown, and four and five shilling pieces.’
- ‘He used to walk up our terrace and throw threepenny bits to the children.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.