One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to or resembling a thread.
viscous, gelatinous, viscid, sticky, glutinous, mucilaginous, thickView synonyms
- ‘That huge neon glow comes out as a thin, thready coloured tube and nothing like what they saw that night.’
- ‘Her hair was blonde and thready, and wrinkles covered a face that might have been pretty one day, a long time ago.’
2(of a sound, especially the voice) scarcely audible.‘he managed a thready whisper’
- ‘Joe's voice was thready, his eyes glass-green.’
- ‘Her voice is faint and thready, and it is easy to imagine her propped up against the pillows in her Thirsk home, struggling to find the strength to continue.’
- 2.1Medicine (of a person's pulse) scarcely perceptible.
- ‘The tongue is red, and there is a rapid thready pulse.’
- ‘His pulse was weak, thready, and rapid, his extremities were cold and he was perspiring.’
- ‘Her pulse was thready, and she was in severe need of a doctor.’
- ‘She is hyperventilating, her pulse is racing and thready.’
- ‘A weak, thready pulse and pulsus alternans are associated with decreased left ventricular function.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.