One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A very slender parasitic nematode worm, especially a pinworm.
- ‘One of their main parasites is a gut nematode, the caecal threadworm T. tenuis, which has a direct lifestyle with no alternative hosts within the same habitat.’
- ‘The threadworm, Enterobius vermicularis, is the commonest worm parasite of children in non-tropical areas such as northern Europe.’
- ‘Little threadworms and hookworms are about one centimetre long, while roundworms are about 20 cm long and our friend the tapeworm can reach up to 10 metres in length.’
- ‘An enema of asafoetida is effective in treating threadworms and other intestinal parasites.’
- ‘Rectally administered tobacco infusions - whether employed against pinworms, roundworms, tapeworms, or threadworms - proved an effective vermifuge in sixteenth-century Europe.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.