One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or characteristic of the ancient country of Thrace or its people.‘the patriarchal structure of Thracian society’
- ‘Both towns were founded by Thracian tribes and later settled by the ancient Greeks.’
- ‘Orpheus, Ares, and Boreas (the god of the destructive north wind) are all considered to be Thracian.’
- ‘At the museum in the old (c.1800) house in Peshtera we were shown two Thracian sarcophagi dating back 5,000 years.’
- ‘Through its Thracian heritage, Bulgaria lays claim to being the birthplace of wine-making.’
- ‘Apollo, having watched all this, rouses a Trojan, who begins to defend the Thracian camp.’
A native or inhabitant of the ancient country of Thrace.‘he was dragged into the circus to fight against a Thracian’
- ‘In ancient times, the Thracians shaped the granite rock into building blocks at the quarry.’
- ‘The Thracians, who are the first inhabitants of what is today Bulgaria, were known to have had numerous sheep flocks.’
- ‘Some consider that the leader and military commander Spartacus was a Thracian.’
- ‘Sofia started as a settlement of ancient Thracians around 1000 BC.’
- ‘Thracians were an intergral part of the evolution of ancient Mediterranean civilisation (Hellenic and Roman).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.