One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bivalve mollusc of warm seas, the pinkish-brown shell of which is heavily ribbed and bears blunt or flattened spines.
Family Spondylidae: Spondylus and other genera
- ‘Scallops, also called thorny oysters, are burrowing creatures; with a few exceptions they are able to swim.’
- ‘I can still see the vivid orange flesh of a large thorny oyster, its shell spread open and decorated with a quilt of coral.’
- ‘All of the long tines that identify thorny oysters easily were gone, but a few nubs remained.’
- ‘By late prehispanic times, the thorny oyster was distributed widely throughout the central Andes.’
- ‘However, there are many marine parks and sanctuaries in which the thorny oysters may be found.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.