Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Land on which the vegetation consists mainly of thorny trees and bushes.
- ‘A multidisciplinary study on the interaction of goats and cattle grazing on redsoil thornveld was started in 1989.’
- ‘Stutt is an easy 45-minute run from the coast through thornveld and farming areas.’
- ‘The area comprises of thornveld, with forest patches along the cliffs and drainage lines.’
- ‘During the summer months, the reserve experiences a large influx of migrant species, particularly in the thornveld and dam shoreline habitats.’
- ‘It has an incredible biodiversity including savannah, grasslands, thornveld and tall acacia trees.’
From thorn + Afrikaans veld (see veld).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.