One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounSouth African
Land on which the vegetation consists mainly of thorny trees and bushes.
- ‘A multidisciplinary study on the interaction of goats and cattle grazing on redsoil thornveld was started in 1989.’
- ‘The area comprises of thornveld, with forest patches along the cliffs and drainage lines.’
- ‘It has an incredible biodiversity including savannah, grasslands, thornveld and tall acacia trees.’
- ‘Stutt is an easy 45-minute run from the coast through thornveld and farming areas.’
- ‘During the summer months, the reserve experiences a large influx of migrant species, particularly in the thornveld and dam shoreline habitats.’
From thorn + Afrikaans veld (see veld).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.