Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
nounmass nounSouth African
Land on which the vegetation consists mainly of thorny trees and bushes.
- ‘During the summer months, the reserve experiences a large influx of migrant species, particularly in the thornveld and dam shoreline habitats.’
- ‘It has an incredible biodiversity including savannah, grasslands, thornveld and tall acacia trees.’
- ‘The area comprises of thornveld, with forest patches along the cliffs and drainage lines.’
- ‘A multidisciplinary study on the interaction of goats and cattle grazing on redsoil thornveld was started in 1989.’
- ‘Stutt is an easy 45-minute run from the coast through thornveld and farming areas.’
From thorn + Afrikaans veld (see veld).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.