One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Huddled behind thorned bushes and high grass, the families watched as their huts - including one for grain storage - were burned.’
- ‘We drove past brown, sandy hills crowned by patches of cacti with round, thorned leaves.’
- ‘The violets, the marigold, the cannas; they were all gone in favor of the thorned monstrosities.’
- ‘There are more than 1,500 kinds of plants in these forests, including 19 kinds of rare plants such as the thorned cyathea spinulosa, the Chinese double-fan fern, the Chinese goose-palm catalpa and the yinque tree.’
- ‘She has applied for cash from the committee to buy hawthorn and other thorned bushes, which would be planted around the cemetery's borders.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.