One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Surgical incision into the chest wall.
- ‘Some benefit has been observed when using epidural opiates alone for mastectomy, thoracotomy, extremity surgery and lower abdominal surgery.’
- ‘A thoracotomy was then performed through a standard right posterolateral thoracotomy incision.’
- ‘The patient was subsequently referred to our hospital, where he underwent thoracotomy with left upper lobectomy and partial pericardiectomy.’
- ‘Techniques for pleurodesis include thoracotomy, thoracoscopy, chest tube insertion, and thoracentesis.’
- ‘Surgical lung biopsy was performed by formal thoracotomy or video-assisted thoracoscopy.’
Late 19th century: from Greek thōrax, thorāc- ‘chest’ + -tomy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.