One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An annual pay bonus, equal to one month's salary and paid at the end of the year.
- ‘Medical aid and pension is not necessary but a thirteenth cheque at year end would be good.’
- ‘At this time of year savings, bonuses and thirteenth cheques play a large role in how people meet the holiday season.’
- ‘You have always been used to a bonus or thirteenth cheque and used it to go on your annual holiday, but will your pension allow for such luxuries?’
- ‘The union explained that the workers were demanding a guaranteed annual bonus as a thirteenth cheque, and a reduction in working hours, without loss of earnings, from the current 44 hours to 40 hours a week.’
- ‘They said that professors' salaries had just gone up by 10% and the top of the scale earned about N $200 000 a year plus benefits including a thirteenth cheque, pension, medical aid and housing allowance.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.