Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A political group or party acting as a check on conflict between two extreme or opposing groups.‘the Liberal Democrats as the third force in British politics’
- ‘It is the first biography of the man who saved the Liberal Pary when it was at its lowest point and restored it as the independent third force in British politics.’
- ‘Are the Greens the new third force in Australian politics?’
- ‘This potentially introduces a third force into the operation of the senate.’
- ‘Remaining aloof from the organizational and ideological struggles within the Green Party movement, his organization constitutes a third force in green politics.’
- ‘There's still something for us to prove, we have to show that we're still the third force.’
- ‘They are clearly the third force in Australian parliamentary politics.’
- ‘The third force was the Mensheviks, who were a much more authentically left wing group based among workers.’
- ‘The Greens are the third force in Australian politics now, they have replaced, supplanted the Democrats.’
- ‘Although at first Parkes was able to accommodate the appearance in NSW in 1891 of the Labor Party as a third force offering support in return for concessions, he failed to retain their backing.’
- ‘A third force on the left emerged at these elections.’
- ‘The Ukrainian communists are marginalized but still form a third force.’
- ‘So if he were to leave the Republicans and try to head up some sort of third force in American politics, or try to run for president on that basis, what exactly would his politics be?’
- ‘Now a catch-all regional party, it has become a third force in the country's east, shaping a political landscape there that is wholly distinct from that in the west.’
- ‘For Charles Kennedy, heading the third force of the Liberal Democrats, the election offered a chance to emerge from the shadow of his party's long-time leader Paddy Ashdown.’
- ‘Amid the clatter of swords and the tumbling of middle-aged men in frock coats and tights what, you may ask, was the rising third force in British politics up to?’
- ‘The Greens have therefore grown into the only serious third force in Australian politics.’
- ‘If you are satisfied with us, then vote for the BJP; if not, support the Congress; but remember there is no third force in the state.’
- ‘They saw it as a chance to create a third force between capitalism and Communism.’
- ‘Britain's third party has learnt to fight dirty in its desire to become a genuine third force in British politics.’
- ‘The Nationals have the resources and the base to become a third force, at least in some states, but it's not clear if they have the flexibility of mind.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.