Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Good enough to be next after the second-best thing of the same type.‘the North's third-best band’
- ‘He was awarded the remaining point for being deemed the Knights' third-best player.’
- ‘So far it's been a difficult year, though most would agree the worst is over and the industry is still tracking to end the year in North America at about 16.8 million sales - the third-best sales year ever.’
- ‘In spite of the downturn in other key sectors of the economy, the auto industry could well achieve its third-best sales year ever.’
- ‘He has quickly established himself as a starter and, averaging an impressive 12.2 points per game, is ranked as the NBA's third-best rookie.’
- ‘Exports of Scotch whisky broke the £2bn barrier for the 10th successive year in 2002, which was also its third-best performance ever.’
- ‘Ernie has been the second or third-best player in those six years, but really has never been close.’
- ‘All the same, the days when he was perhaps the third-best player in the world seem long distant.’
- ‘Jakarta's composite index has fallen more than 13 per cent this year, making it the fifth-worst performer in Asia, a major reversal from last year when it was Asia's third-best performer.’
- ‘At the 2003 World Cross Country Ski Championships, he placed fifth, the third-best result in U.S. men's history.’
- ‘The teams from Dartford Grammar School excelled in all of its events, with the junior squad recording the second-fastest time in the freestyle and the third-best in the medley relays.’
- ‘If she confesses, then I will get my third-best outcome by also confessing, rather than my fourth-best outcome.’
- ‘With the competition already won, she relaxed and sent the hammer out to 83.05 with the last throw of the competition, the third-best performance in championship history.’
- ‘Here I am, maybe their second- or third-best pitcher, and they don't fully utilize my pitching.’
- ‘The 18-year-old runner raced into the semi-finals in the championships held in Lithuania with the third-best heat time of 47.18 seconds after finishing third in the first heat.’
- ‘In years to come, they will probably find out that international policy co-ordination is a matter of second-best and third-best solutions.’
- ‘Team-mates Danny and Scott also just missed out on making the select team, being voted second-best stand-off and third-best second-row respectively.’
- ‘But he has been so successful in Twenty 20 cricket - he had the third-best economy rate in the 2006 competition - that he may find himself receiving international recognition earlier than anybody expected.’
- ‘Pupils achieved the third-best GCSE results in the borough, with 98 per cent of pupils getting five or more A - C grades.’
- ‘The 18-year-old Kingston College student finished as third-best British skier in the slalom, despite a mistake on his first run, and was second overall in the giant slalom.’
- ‘He's also only the third-best blind-side flanker in NZ.’
A level that is less adequate or desirable than best and second best.
- ‘As last year, three points will be awarded to the Knights' man of the match in each game as deemed by the Evening Press, with two points going to the next best player and one point to the third best.’
- ‘Connolly enjoyed a good season with Wimbledon and his ratio of goals per games was the third best in the division.’
- ‘Dallas' 14-0 start was the third-best in league history.’
- ‘My final round of golf was played at Vineuil, a subtle, intriguing course, rated the third best in continental Europe.’
- ‘The region's average score at A-level was the third best in the country behind the South East and North West.’
- ‘But I was the third best in the world over 100m and fourth best at 200m.’
- ‘The horse finished fifth in Scotland last month in an especially hot race and was third-best until weakening in the closing stages.’
- ‘After his worrying 100 metres and long jump, he threw an impressive 15.73 metres in the shot, the third-best in the field, which moved him into seventh place.’
- ‘The performance on answering 999 calls is the second best recorded nationally and response to 999 calls is ranked the third best in the country.’
- ‘The university has climbed 23 places to 31st place in the rankings and is now rated as the third best in Yorkshire - overtaking Leeds and Hull.’
- ‘The top player in each game is awarded three points, the second best player two points, and the third best one point.’
- ‘And the 76-page glossy magazine was also judged to be the third best in the top-flight in terms of value for money.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.